From: "José Romildo Malaquias" <j.romildo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Reading a DVD as an ISO image
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:59:24
1 On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 04:54:20PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-11-17, Marcus Wanner <marcusw@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > > My guess is that he has a slow internet connection, he
5 > > downloaded a large iso, burned it, deleted it, and now wants
6 > > to get the iso back without downloading it again, but he has
7 > > access to the checksum/filesize of the original iso from the
8 > > place he downloaded it, and when he makes an iso, the
9 > > checksum/filesize does not match.
10 >
11 > In my experience that happens because one or the other of the
12 > images has "extra" garbage blocks past the end of the actual
13 > ISO filesystem image. If you look at the ISO filesystem header
14 > and find the actual size of the image, it's probably smaller
15 > than the "image file". If you only compare the bytes within
16 > the ISO image itself, I bet the two will match.
17
18 In fact the size of the iso images obtained with dd and with cdread are
19 a little bit larger than the original one. The iso image obtained by
20 mkisofs on the mounted disc (with the udf filesystem type) are of the
21 right size, but still not identical to the original.
22
23 Romildo