From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ata6: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4000000 action 0xe frozen
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2013 18:52:34
1 on 08/01/2013 05:43 PM Bruce Hill wrote the following:
2 > On Thu, Aug 01, 2013 at 10:37:34AM +0300, Thanasis wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Me too. That's exactly how I use this Sata port, so it must be related
5 >> to the way the kernel handles/probes it.
6 >>
7 >> BTW, I use a cable which is sata <-> eSata, i.e. sata for the
8 >> motherboard side and eSata for the external disk side, and I keep the
9 >> cable connected to the motherboard and the disk connected to the cable.
10 >> I just power on the eSata external disk enclosure whenever I need to use
11 >> the disk, and before switching the power off, I just unmount the disk.
12 >> Is that a correct procedure?
13 >
14 > The problem is more than likely with the SATA cable plugged to the
15 > motherboard. How is the cable routed from the motherboard to the external
16 > enclosure? If it's not stable, that can cause this problem; which is why my
17 > present thought is to buy 2 items as shown in the previous post.
20 I didn't say it from the start for simplicity's sake, but actually, I am
21 using a bracket like the one you said, and the reseating was needed at
22 the bracket's eSata (external) port.
23
24 I think that there are specs for eSata cables and ports so that the
25 connection between them is made secure and doesn't get easily loose, but
26 in my case, either the (external) eSata cable or the Bracket's ports (or
27 both cable and bracket) do not follow these specs.