From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 19:29:42
1 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Sat, 24 May 2014 02:19:19 -0400
6 > > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Sorry, that one was wrong as well, here is the correct one which I
9 > > > have tested myself!
10 > > > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=7aa380dc7ff13da479331a425ce8a665
11 > >
12 > > (TL;DR: Enable the COMPOSITE extension in your Xorg configuration.)
13 > >
14 > > Which version of GNOME is this? I run GNOME 3.12; if you still run
15 > > a much older version of GNOME, you might want to consider an upgrade.
16 > >
17 > > Did a diff against mine.
18 > >
19 > > First bit where it goes wrong:
20 > >
21 > > gdm-session-worker[14085]: <7>AccountsService: Error calling
22 > > GetAll() when retrieving properties
23 > > for /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User105: Operation was cancelled
24 > > gdm-session-worker[14085]: <7>AccountsService: Error calling
25 > > GetAll() when retrieving properties
26 > > for /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User105: Operation was cancelled
27 > >
28 > > Second bit where it goes wrong:
29 > >
30 > > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-is-accelerated: No
31 > > composite extension.
32 > > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-check-accelerated:
33 > > Helper exited with code 256
34 > > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-is-accelerated: No
35 > > composite extension.
36 > > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-check-accelerated:
37 > > Helper exited with code 256
38 > > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: ** (process:14093): WARNING **:
39 > > software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code
40 > > 1
41 > >
42 > > The first one is accountsservice; here you can check if you have the
43 > > last version (or try a different version), as well as see if the
44 > > systemd USE flag on it is set. Though, don't worry too much; given that
45 > > it goes further past this point, this might be a false positive. But it
46 > > might be relevant might you experience another problem later on...
47 > >
48 > > The second one is way more interesting, it is a process that exits with
49 > > code 1 and definitely is a failure; the lack of presence of a composite
50 > > extension means that there is something wrong with your Xorg
51 > > configuration or detection, maybe you have explicitly disabling it or
52 > > have set it up in a way that it breaks.
53 > >
54 > > Alternatively consider to remove the existing Xorg configuration files,
55 > > try again; if it still breaks, you can generate one with nvidia-xconfig.
56 > >
57 > > In my case I get ...
58 > >
59 > > gdm-Xorg-:0[2680]: Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
60 > >
61 > > ... which doesn't appear in your log.
62 > >
63 > > A similar forum topic seems to suggest it happens in such case:
64 > >
65 > > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-977526-start-0.html
66 > >
67 > > Thus can you try enabling that extension?
68 >
69 > OK, well that fixed a lot, if I do a startx, I can get a gnome session
70 > (I even tried it under openrc) and it did come up. I wonder if I could
71 > get along that way? So, I rebooted under systemd, but gdm still is not
72 > working, but I am not sure what the message is, since I am using a
73 > screen reader and the gnome session is not saying anything, but I will
74 > have more information later on today. So we are in much better shape
75 > than before.
76 > Thanks much.
77
78 OK, here is what is happening -- if I do a startx & in any console where
79 I am logged in, I get a gnome session on that tty (wish it was on the
80 unused one), and I seem to be good to go. However when I try to use
81 gdm, I no longer get the oh no stuff, but it seems I get a list of some
82 of my userids, but I can't do anything, I can up arrow to one of them,
83 but hitting enter does nothing. Also, tab does nothing, nor do
84 left/right arrow keys and strangely enough, my name is not among the
85 listed ids.
86
87 Here is a log segment from start to stop of gdm.
88
89 https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=3bae607fe4d5043b325b6339e3672c84
90
91 I hope someone can make sense of this because after this happened my
92 regular ttys won't scroll once they get to the last line and the only
93 way to solve this problem is to reboot the system.
96 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
97 How do
98 you spend it?
99
100 John Covici