From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] about to give up on systemd and gnome
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 11:03:20
1 Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 24 May 2014 02:19:19 -0400
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > Sorry, that one was wrong as well, here is the correct one which I
7 > > have tested myself!
8 > > https://covici.com/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=7aa380dc7ff13da479331a425ce8a665
9 >
10 > (TL;DR: Enable the COMPOSITE extension in your Xorg configuration.)
11 >
12 > Which version of GNOME is this? I run GNOME 3.12; if you still run
13 > a much older version of GNOME, you might want to consider an upgrade.
14 >
15 > Did a diff against mine.
16 >
17 > First bit where it goes wrong:
18 >
19 > gdm-session-worker[14085]: <7>AccountsService: Error calling
20 > GetAll() when retrieving properties
21 > for /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User105: Operation was cancelled
22 > gdm-session-worker[14085]: <7>AccountsService: Error calling
23 > GetAll() when retrieving properties
24 > for /org/freedesktop/Accounts/User105: Operation was cancelled
25 >
26 > Second bit where it goes wrong:
27 >
28 > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-is-accelerated: No
29 > composite extension.
30 > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-check-accelerated:
31 > Helper exited with code 256
32 > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-is-accelerated: No
33 > composite extension.
34 > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: gnome-session-check-accelerated:
35 > Helper exited with code 256
36 > /usr/bin/dbus-launch[14093]: ** (process:14093): WARNING **:
37 > software acceleration check failed: Child process exited with code
38 > 1
39 >
40 > The first one is accountsservice; here you can check if you have the
41 > last version (or try a different version), as well as see if the
42 > systemd USE flag on it is set. Though, don't worry too much; given that
43 > it goes further past this point, this might be a false positive. But it
44 > might be relevant might you experience another problem later on...
45 >
46 > The second one is way more interesting, it is a process that exits with
47 > code 1 and definitely is a failure; the lack of presence of a composite
48 > extension means that there is something wrong with your Xorg
49 > configuration or detection, maybe you have explicitly disabling it or
50 > have set it up in a way that it breaks.
51 >
52 > Alternatively consider to remove the existing Xorg configuration files,
53 > try again; if it still breaks, you can generate one with nvidia-xconfig.
54 >
55 > In my case I get ...
56 >
57 > gdm-Xorg-:0[2680]: Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
58 >
59 > ... which doesn't appear in your log.
60 >
61 > A similar forum topic seems to suggest it happens in such case:
62 >
63 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-977526-start-0.html
64 >
65 > Thus can you try enabling that extension?
66
67 OK, well that fixed a lot, if I do a startx, I can get a gnome session
68 (I even tried it under openrc) and it did come up. I wonder if I could
69 get along that way? So, I rebooted under systemd, but gdm still is not
70 working, but I am not sure what the message is, since I am using a
71 screen reader and the gnome session is not saying anything, but I will
72 have more information later on today. So we are in much better shape
73 than before.
74 Thanks much.
78 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
79 How do
80 you spend it?
81
82 John Covici