From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] / becomes read only
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 02:54:31
1 On 7/5/06, James Colby <jcolby@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > filesystem keeps becoming read only. If it does turnout to be a disk
3 > timeout do you have any suggestions as how to fix the problem?
4
5 Well, it is a very big "if" at this point. It is equally possible
6 that you have an bad block on the drive that causes an IO error, or a
7 corrupted filesystem block that confuses the filesystem driver, or...
8 Hopefully a log will get written to give us more info.
9
10 If linux were running on the bare metal, I could probably make some
11 suggestions on how to avoid a timeout appearing in the guest os
12 (schedulers, sysctl settings, etc); however I know nothing about ESX
13 server and what is available there for tuning.
14
15 You might post the problem to the vmware ESX forum and see what they
16 have to say. The VMWare forums usually provide top-notch support for
17 these kind of things...
18
19 -Richard
20 --