From: James Colby <jcolby@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] / becomes read only
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 21:26:55
2 > A disk timeout error could cause a filesystem to be remounted
3 > read-only. And if /var is on the same disk, you wouldn't necessarily
4 > see the errors (since, after all, it is now read-only!).
5 >
6 > I would start by making /var a separate filesystem if you haven't
7 > already. Heck, put it on a different virtual disk if you have to...
8 >
9 > -Richard
10 > --
11
12 Richard -
13
14 Thanks for the suggestion. I have moved /var to a separate virtual
15 disk. Hopefully this will give me some clue as to why the root
16 filesystem keeps becoming read only. If it does turnout to be a disk
17 timeout do you have any suggestions as how to fix the problem?
18
19 Thanks,
20 James
21 --