From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] the best filesystem for server: XFS or JFS (or?)
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 16:44:38
1 On Wednesday 23 March 2011 14:04:23 Mr. Jarry wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
3 >
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > And if you don't care about barriers, jfs might be a good choice.
6 >
7 > Knowing nothing about "barriers" I tried to find some info and
8 > came accross this article:
9 >
10 > http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/Deciding-when-to-use-Linux-f
11 > ile-system-barriers
12 >
13 > It says, barriers can not work with device mapper (raid, lvm).
14 > If it is true (?) then because of having all partitions in raid1 (md),
15 > I need not worry about barriers. Whatever filesystem I picked out,
16 > I could not use barriers...
17 >
18 > Jarry
19
20 md raid devices can do barriers. Don't know about lvm. But lvm is such a can
21 of worms I am surprised people still recommend it.