From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:23:08
1 On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > In "prose": I have kde-i18n-3.5.8 installed. In tree, there's
3 > an update available (kde-i18n-3.5.9).
4 >
5 > Why was that updatedable package not picked up, when I ran
6 > emerge -DuvatN world? I also tried "emerge -Duvat world" -
7 > same effect.
8
9 kde-i18n is not in your world and is not a direct dependency of anything
10 in world, and nothing in your world specifically requires
11 kde-i18n-3.5.9.
12
13 emerge -avuND world updates world and it's deep dependencies, not
14 everything on the entire system regardless. You want to put kde-i18n in
15 world (emerge -n) to get what you want.
16
17 That does give you a cluttered world file, but them's the breaks
18
19 The other option is to use the kde*meta ebuilds, which do directly
20 depend on the sub-ordinate packages. This is what I do and I don't get
21 the effect you observed.
24 Alan McKinnon
25 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list