From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 23:17:07
1 On 12/10/2005 1:17 PM Stroller wrote:
4 > On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:08 pm, drew@××××××××××××××.net wrote:
7 >> I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4
8 >> chipset.
9 >> There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
10 >> controller built in to the motherboard.
11 >> ...
12 >> I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
13 >> icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for sdb.
14 >> I can
15 >> not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each drive
16 >> individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.
19 > I'm no expert on this, but I believe that many ATA "hardware" RAID
20 > arrangements in fact just use their Windoze drivers to do software
21 > RAID. I'd do some research via Googling the chipset &/or board's model
22 > number if I were you.
25 I haven't found anything yet but then I haven't looked real hard.
26 However I suspect this does not rely on any Windows drivers as the
27 controller is managed long before Windows boots. Just after POST and
28 before the OS starts, a brief message showing the controller is
29 displayed. By pressing F10, I can manage my stripe. Much like I see
30 most SCSI cards.
33 >> Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix
34 >> to see the
35 >> two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I can't recover
36 >> the data
37 >> from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself
38 >> shortly
39 >> after logon.
42 > If my guess is correct then the best thing might be to install Windows
43 > on a spare drive & boot from that to see the RAID as one. You might
44 > try booting with a Windows CD & see if the RAID is recognised as a
45 > single partition... if you get the option to do a repair install you
46 > _should_ be able to get an at-least-mostly-working Windows install &
47 > all your data intact. Recover the data to a portable drive & format.
50 Thanks. I tried an overlay install again and things seem to be going
51 well. Copying data now.
52
53 Thanks for your ideas!
54
55 Drew
58 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
59 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
60
61 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
64 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list