From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Knoppix Install Method
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:27:07
1 On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:08 pm, drew@××××××××××××××.net wrote:
2 >
3 > I have a system on an Abit motherboard with the Nvidia GeForce 4
4 > chipset.
5 > There are two SATA disks in a hardward stripe configuration using the
6 > controller built in to the motherboard.
7 > ...
8 > I booted the latest Knoppix dated 9/23/05 and see two
9 > icons on the desktop for my drives. One for sda the other for sdb. I
10 > can
11 > not mount either. I assume this is because Knoppix is seeing each
12 > drive
13 > individually instead of the one logical striped drive it is.
14
15 I'm no expert on this, but I believe that many ATA "hardware" RAID
16 arrangements in fact just use their Windoze drivers to do software
17 RAID. I'd do some research via Googling the chipset &/or board's model
18 number if I were you.
19
20 > Is there some magic I can perform at the boot prompt to get Knoppix to
21 > see the
22 > two individual drives as one logical striped drive? I can't recover
23 > the data
24 > from booting Windows because it's all screwed up and reboots itself
25 > shortly
26 > after logon.
27
28 If my guess is correct then the best thing might be to install Windows
29 on a spare drive & boot from that to see the RAID as one. You might try
30 booting with a Windows CD & see if the RAID is recognised as a single
31 partition... if you get the option to do a repair install you _should_
32 be able to get an at-least-mostly-working Windows install & all your
33 data intact. Recover the data to a portable drive & format.
34
35 Stroller.
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list