From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 09:52:45
1 On Freitag 02 Oktober 2009, forgottenwizard wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 10:29:08AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 03:52:24 -0500, forgottenwizard wrote:
4 > > > > Nano is not non-existent by default.
5 > > >
6 > > > It isn't always on the users sytem. Providing a non-existent default
7 > > > seems quite broken to me.
8 > >
9 > > That's true of every editor, so you have to choose the one that is most
10 > > likely to be there, the one that is installed for the stage tarballs and
11 > > is there unless the user has taken specific steps to remove it.
12 >
13 > Or you could try to find a suitable default intelligently instead of
14 > blindly compiling in a default that may or may not exist. Worse still is
15 > blindly doing so without telling the user.
16 >
17 > > > > A more sensible approach would be for the ebuild to check which
18 > > > > ebuild satisfies the virtual/editor dependency and set that. If the
19 > > > > OP really cared about this "problem" he'd investigate providing such
20 > > > > solutions instead of ranting about how Gentoo does not use his editor
21 > > > > of choice by default.
22 > > >
23 > > > The problem there would be if multiple editors provide virtual/editor
24 > > > (such as on my system, which has both vim and ed installed). The ebuild
25 > > > trying to automagically select what should be the default editor is a
26 > > > bad idea, if not just horrible.
27 > >
28 > > You can't have it both ways. You want the program to default to an editor
29 > > that is guaranteed to be there, at least at installation time, yet the
30 > > only one that satisfies that is virtual/editor. It's only a default, it
31 > > only has to be available the first time you run the program, whether
32 > > it's your favourite editor or not. If you only want to use default
33 > > configurations without making any changes to suit yourself, I suggest you
34 > > may be better served by a distro that is a little browner.
35 >
36 > And if you, say, have two editors installed that satisfy virtual/editor?
39 then the more sensible one should be used by default.
40
41 Lets see:
42 nano, built in help, easy to use, small, good enough for most edits.
43
44 vim, whatthefuckisthatcrap? how do I quit this monstrum? what happened now?
45 MODES?
46
47 nano wins, hands down. Because every idiot can use it long enough to edit the
48 files needed to make vim default.