From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Software for checking CDs and DVDs for errors?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2018 17:11:07
1 On 12/14/18 3:31 AM, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 12/3/18 9:27 AM, Pouru Lasse wrote:
5 >>> I've got a bunch of scratched disc-based games (PS2, Xbox 360) that I'd
6 >>> like to check for errors. Is there any program for Linux that does this?
7 >>> I found and tried dvdisaster, but it only works for CDs, not
8 >>> DVDs. Everything else seems to be Windows-only.
9 >>>
10 >>> - Lasse
11 >>>
12 >> For DVDs, I use ddrescue. Keep a log of it as well in case you want to
13 >> do a second pass or just see where it's puking. Use its blocksize of 2048:
14 >>
15 >> ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/sr0 dvd.iso ddrescue.log
16 > readcd is better for any optical media as it is able to directly send SCSI
17 > commands. Note that readcd implements the error recovery from sdd(1), that
18 > exists since 35 years and I also prefer for normal disks.
19 That's way cool to know. MakeMKV does the same thing - it rips stuff
20 directly using SCSI commands, and you have to have SCSI generic driver
21 support (/dev/sg*) enabled in the kernel for it to work.
22 >
23 > With software that operates at block driver level, you depend on the error
24 > recovery features from the OS driver.
25
26 OS driver, do you mean for SCSI in Linux or the driver for that ATA chipset?