From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What do you think about Firefox 57?
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2017 02:20:11
1 On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2017-09-08 00:48, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:26 PM, Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi all,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have been using FoxyProxy in Firefox for a really long time, until
9 >>> today I found its new version really sucks.
10 >>>
11 >>> Then I read the comment from author who declared that the old version
12 >>> can *only* be used before (roughly) end of 2017 before Firefox 57 and in
13 >>> new version some features must perish.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >> I am assuming that most actively developed addons will be updated before 57
17 >> drops, so the transition wont be too painful. Is the issue you're having
18 >> with FoxyProxy related to it relying on features that are no longer
19 >> available under the new framework?
20 >
21 > Yes. The FoxyProxy author declared that some features are no long
22 > available under the new framework.
23 > I am really depressed about it because I just use that plugin every time
24 > I use Firefox.
27 >> This update will break my favorite extension, Vimperator. I am already
28 >> looking at replacements for Firefox due to this. So far I have found
29 >> qutebrowser which isn't really as featureful.
30 >>
31 >> R0b0t1.
32 >
33 > I am using Keysnail, no idea whether or not it will be deprecated.
34 >
35 > If the features I want are blocked by the new framework, I'm afraid I
36 > would lock the version (fortunately it's Gentoo) for a long time, until
37 > I find replacement for plugins, or even Firefox...
40 I saw some people talking about creating a non-Mozilla LTS Firefox
41 version. I'm not sure how well that will work but I wish them luck. In
42 the case of Vimperator, it looks like a lot of the breaking changes
43 revolve around what you can and can't do to the UI. I run Vimperator
44 with 'gui="none,tabs"' which is something worth looking up if you
45 haven't seen it.
46
47 Keysnail looks nice but it seems like it doesn't modify the GUI.
48 There's a few Vim inspired addons for Firefox, but none of them are as
49 comprehensive as Vimperator. There's a lot of Vim mimicry that I'm not
50 even aware of in the addon, it's extremely comprehensive.
51
52 Thanks for the suggestion,
53 R0b0t1.