From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:08:03
1 On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 11:42 PM, Stroller
2 <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > Some comments were made recently about KDE4, where it was advised "don't try
4 > using just Kmail under a different window manager - use the whole KDE
5 > environment, but not single apps. Use something else instead of Kmail".
6 >
7 > I kept my gob somewhat shut at that time, because I've been using Knode for
8 > a long time on my headless server. I ssh in from my Mac and open Knode in
9 > X11.
10 >
11 > I guess Usenet isn't so popular these days, and I have never been able to
12 > find a Mac native client that I'm happy with.
13 >
14 > I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually with the
15 > KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.
16 >
17 > It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an alternative that
18 > looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of the whole KDE4
19 > environment.
20 >
21 > Any suggestions?
22
23 For textual usenet i use mail-client/mozilla-thunderbird. For binary
24 usenet I use net-nntp/bnr2.