From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 20:17:52
1 On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 3:19 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > How would I track down the Gentoo maintainer?
6 So, first thing to do is look in the repository at the metadata.xml
7 file in the package directory.
8
9 In this case it only lists the base-system project and doesn't list
10 any individual maintainers. You could try looking up the project on
11 the wiki:
12 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Base
13
14 However, you're going to find a lot of people. You could email the
15 email address on the wiki page, or try asking in that project IRC
16 channel.
17
18 If that doesn't get you far (these sorts of projects often are a
19 little disorganized since there are so many packages in them), then
20 I'd look at the commit history:
21 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/sys-process/daemontools
22
23 (or you can run git whatchanged . from inside that directory in a git clone)
24
25 My first guess of an individual to talk to would be sam@g.o, since he
26 has done commits related to the actual package itself looking at the
27 log. Things like stabilization commits or people touching a package
28 because they were working on something somewhat related aren't ideal
29 contacts, since they probably aren't directly involved with the
30 package.
31
32 If you're on IRC I'd check out #base-system there though, and maybe
33 ask in general or ping sam if he's around.
34
35 I realize this is a bit roundabout, but one thing I do want to do is
36 teach you to fish, and also make you not too afraid to talk to a
37 package maintainer. The trick is to find the person who is most
38 likely to care about the issue because they're most likely to identify
39 the right sort of fix.
40
41 If you get really stuck please do let me know and I can try to help a
42 bit. The more I heard on this the more I tend to think that maybe it
43 should either not be in that virtual or that it should itself depend
44 on openrc/etc, or that qmail shouldn't depend on it. However, I am
45 not directly involved in those packages and there could be more to the
46 story. That is why it is good to talk to those directly involved.
49 Rich