From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 19:20:05
1 Hello, Rich.
2
3 On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 15:54:25 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > OK, so you're clever and you know this. You know to do the
7 > > couter-intuitive thing of putting @system packages into @world. Less
8 > > clever people like me follow the handbook, and assume that packages in
9 > > @system are protected. Putting init-systems into @world is an unnatural
10 > > thing to do, and must be construed as a workaround for deficiencies in
11 > > portage.
12
13 > I think you're really conflating the package manager with how some
14 > virtuals/ebuilds are configured. Portage shouldn't have
15 > service-manager-specific functionality. Nor should it do things like
16 > never uninstall things that packages say aren't needed just in case
17 > you might still be using them, when you run it with --depclean which
18 > basically is supposed to have it remove the stuff that isn't needed.
19
20 I don't think portage should ever uninstall the active init system, or
21 other crucial parts of the system, unless explicitly requested by the
22 user. I think that would be poor design if it were deliberate. People
23 make mistakes, and systems should take that into account.
24
25 > All protage does is follow the dependencies.
26
27 > I think there is room for discussing whether daemontools should be
28 > treated as a service manager by default. I've never used it and can't
29 > speak to how it is typically used. You might want to talk to the
30 > maintainers of it to get their thoughts.
31
32 How would I track down the Gentoo maintainer?
33
34 > > No, I did not make that mistake. I simply assumed, not entirely
35 > > consciously, that Gentoo would not destroy my system without me
36 > > specifically asking it to.
37
38 > It isn't like uninstalling openrc is going to "destroy your system".
39 > Worst case you could always just pass init=/bin/bash or whatever to
40 > the kernel and just reinstall it. Granted, it wouldn't really be
41 > welcome behavior.
42
43 > > It would be saner still to be kept in the system file (whatever that
44 > > might be).
45
46 > I suppose you might not care to hear that I've advocated a few times
47 > that the "system file" should disappear entirely and no packages
48 > should get special treatment. :) Granted, that has more to do with
49 > how assumed dependencies work in the repository. I don't really have
50 > a problem with confirmation before removing certain packages because
51 > reinstalling them can be quite painful. The service manager actually
52 > is one of the easier ones to fix. If you break the ability to
53 > bootstrap gcc/etc that can be a real bugger to fix.
54
55 :-) I suppose I'd be in favour of some sort of "are you really sure?"
56 protections for things like gcc and python, too.
57
58 > Really though posting on this list and successfully winning every
59 > argument with everybody who replies ....
60
61 It's clear that that's not going to happen. ;-)
62
63 > .... is going to do zero to change this behavior, because it is
64 > unlikely that anybody involved in this particular issue reads this
65 > list. It would make more sense to chat with the daemontools
66 > maintainer and get their thoughts on how the virtual ought to be
67 > configured as a starting point. You could always try for a second
68 > opinion/etc if that doesn't work. Plus the conversation would
69 > probably help you understand what their thinking was.
70
71 That's an excellent idea. This feature is not going to hurt me any
72 more, because I know about it now. I'm concerned it could hurt other
73 people in the future.
74
75 > --
76 > Rich