From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2021 19:54:48
1 On Sun, Jul 25, 2021 at 2:05 PM Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > OK, so you're clever and you know this. You know to do the
4 > couter-intuitive thing of putting @system packages into @world. Less
5 > clever people like me follow the handbook, and assume that packages in
6 > @system are protected. Putting init-systems into @world is an unnatural
7 > thing to do, and must be construed as a workaround for deficiencies in
8 > portage.
9
10 I think you're really conflating the package manager with how some
11 virtuals/ebuilds are configured. Portage shouldn't have
12 service-manager-specific functionality. Nor should it do things like
13 never uninstall things that packages say aren't needed just in case
14 you might still be using them, when you run it with --depclean which
15 basically is supposed to have it remove the stuff that isn't needed.
16
17 All protage does is follow the dependencies.
18
19 I think there is room for discussing whether daemontools should be
20 treated as a service manager by default. I've never used it and can't
21 speak to how it is typically used. You might want to talk to the
22 maintainers of it to get their thoughts.
23
24 > No, I did not make that mistake. I simply assumed, not entirely
25 > consciously, that Gentoo would not destroy my system without me
26 > specifically asking it to.
27
28 It isn't like uninstalling openrc is going to "destroy your system".
29 Worst case you could always just pass init=/bin/bash or whatever to
30 the kernel and just reinstall it. Granted, it wouldn't really be
31 welcome behavior.
32
33 > It would be saner still to be kept in the system file (whatever that
34 > might be).
35
36 I suppose you might not care to hear that I've advocated a few times
37 that the "system file" should disappear entirely and no packages
38 should get special treatment. :) Granted, that has more to do with
39 how assumed dependencies work in the repository. I don't really have
40 a problem with confirmation before removing certain packages because
41 reinstalling them can be quite painful. The service manager actually
42 is one of the easier ones to fix. If you break the ability to
43 bootstrap gcc/etc that can be a real bugger to fix.
44
45 Really though posting on this list and successfully winning every
46 argument with everybody who replies is going to do zero to change this
47 behavior, because it is unlikely that anybody involved in this
48 particular issue reads this list. It would make more sense to chat
49 with the daemontools maintainer and get their thoughts on how the
50 virtual ought to be configured as a starting point. You could always
51 try for a second opinion/etc if that doesn't work. Plus the
52 conversation would probably help you understand what their thinking
53 was.
56 Rich