From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia cards - compile in kernel or?
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 15:19:48
1 On Tuesday 06 December 2005 15:27, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
2 > I'm just about to recompile my kernel, but am in doubt.
3 >
4 > Last time I compiled my kernel I was using the drivers shipped with
5 > gentoo-sources and compiled them inside the kernel.
6 >
7 > Now, I've shifted to the nvidia module and is in doubt whether I should
8 > compile any kind of nvidia support in the kernel or just leave it out,
9 > only using the nvidia module (basically should I compile the kernel with
10 > framebuffer support for nvidia or not? - would they conflict?)
11
12 the answer is:
13 no
14
15 you can not compile the 'nvidia module' into the kernel. It is a 3rd party
16 module!
17
18 And to make it worse: no you can't have nvidia framebuffer in the kernel and
19 use the nvidia driver. This two are mutual exclusive.
20 If you try to load the nvidia driver while the nvidia framebuffer driver is
21 compiled into the kernel, you'll run in pretty big problems.
22 Two drivers fightiung over the same piece of hardware are never a good idea.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list