From: "Marc Stürmer" <mail@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Integrated ZFS for Gentoo - WAS Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 06:49:15
1 Am 02.09.2013 10:47, schrieb Joerg Schilling:
2
3 > Solaris is dynamic from the beginning:
4
5 Well in my point of view it boils down to that: someone wants to use ZFS
6 on Linux. Fine. This means you've got to be a good citizen and obey its
7 license, of course.
8
9 It is for those legal reasons that ZFS is not included into the Linux
10 kernel mainline source tree. It is also for those reasons you got to
11 compile it as a module.
12
13 So somebody wants it being static into his kernel, modules being
14 disabled on his machine because of security concerns. Unless he is going
15 to do that stuff himself this is unlikely to ever happen.
16
17 So it boils down to those possible solutions:
18
19 a) writing that stuff himself (unlikely to happen),
20 b) just using the module and going to be happy (also unlikely to happen
21 as it seems),
22 c) choosing another, native file system like Btrfs (which is still yet
23 not production ready as a fast moving target) or going with something
24 like XFS or Ext4 (and LVM),
25
26 or the most natural choice then, which is
27
28 d) choosing an operating system, which supports ZFS out of the box like
29 FreeBSD and forget about all the rest of the problems.
30
31 I would go for d and forget about all of the rest of the problems.
32 FreeBSD has been around long enough, and is stable and mature enough for
33 most anything you can throw at and it is a nice, clean, well structured
34 system anyway.
35
36 There's also Gentoo/FreeBSD around, but personally I would use the
37 native ports system instead.