From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM filter question
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 14:00:26
1 David W Noon wrote:
2
3 > My best suggestion is to create a maximal primary partition as /dev/sdd1
4 > and use that as your LUKS volume. That way, LVM will receive the
5 > partition details from udev and *might* not bother re-reading the
6 > partition table (but don't bet big bucks on it).
7
8 OK, I tried that now with an external drive that also spins down after some
9 minutes - hdparm -Y does not work for external drives it seems. I made a
10 single partition /dev/sdj1 (BTW, what will happen if I add 17 more drives?
11 and I run out of letters?), waited until the drive spun down, issued pvscan
12 and whooooooosh, the drive is back.
13
14 So it seems there is no solution, I think I just have to live with this.
15 AFAIK spinning up and down often is not too bad for a drive nowadays, but
16 some drives are 5 years old.
17
18 All drives also spin up when I let Digikam retrieve photos from my camera.
19 And it seems drives with mounted partitions also sometimes spin down then I
20 delete files, but I cannot reproduce this right now. Strange. But this would
21 be great, because it's annoying to let a drive spin up just because I delete
22 a file somewhere.
23
24 Thanks for your ideas David, too bad it didn't work.
25
26 Wonko