From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:32:52
1 On Feb 15, 2014 11:02 AM, "Tanstaafl" <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2014-02-15 10:16 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Hi all,
6 >>
7 >> Not to revive a flame-fest against systemd, but...
8 >>
9 >> I'm sure some or most of you have already heard about this, but I found
10 >> a really decent thread discussing this whole systemd thing. It is only
11 >> really comparing systemd and upstart, as that was the debate going on in
12 >> the debian TC, but it is a great read, and has actually made me rethink
13 >> my blind objections to systemd a bit.
16 > One of which was logging:
17 >
18 > "20. Myth: systemd makes it impossible to run syslog.
19 >
20 > Not true, we carefully made sure when we introduced the journal that all
21 data is also passed on to any syslog daemon running. In fact, if something
22 changed, then only that syslog gets more complete data now than it got
23 before, since we now cover early boot stuff as well as STDOUT/STDERR of any
24 system service."
25 >
26 > From: http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/the-biggest-myths.html
27
28 Also, for those of you who don't follow Linux-related news, Ubuntu will
29 also change to systemd in the future:
30
31 http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/1316
32
33 And I *heard* that Slackware was also discussing the possibility, but since
34 I don't follow Slackware at all, I don't know for sure.
35
36 Anyway, distros not using systemd, and that they are not really small
37 and/or niche, seem to be disappearing. The discussion that Tanstaafl posted
38 is interesting since the arguments used by the four TC members are really
39 focused on the technical merits of the proposed init systems.
40
41 Regards.
42 --
43 Canek Peláez Valdés