From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Modifying LiveCDs
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:50:30
1 On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net> wrote:
2 >>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=build+your+own+live+cd+gentoo
3 >>
4 >>Not so useful, thanks. Google fails me regularly. Personalized
5 >>searches are getting to be a real sore spot for me; not just mine, but
6 >>those of people pointing me at Google assuming my searches for the
7 >>same keywords will get the same results. Particular grating is when
8 >>someone sends me a link to a search, then the link to what I was
9 >>looking for, and says something like "first hit". My first *page*
10 >>didn't even have that link on it.
11 >
12 > well... i didn't know if it was ok to post links to unofficial gentoo
13 > resources on this list which is why i went with the search.
14
15 Posting direct links should be absolutely fine, IMO. My fiancee shares
16 my frustrations with LMGTFY responses; she'll google for a phrase, and
17 the first few results will be forum and newsgroup mirrors of threads
18 along the lines of:
19
20 "How do I do $x"
21 "Google for "$phrase_just_googled_for"
24 >>> alternatively you could use catalyst:
25 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
26 >>>
27 >>> or you just mount the iso, modify it, run mkisofs on it and burn it.
28 >>> the mkisofs options you are looking for are -b and -c.
29 >>
30 >>I knew there was going to be something I wasn't going to know, and it
31 >>looks like the values passed to -b and -c are it.
32 >
33 > again, the hint you maybe didn't get was: you will have to do some of
34 > the work yourself.
35
36 If I wasn't willing to do some of the work myself, I wouldn't be using
37 Gentoo. I'd be using Ubuntu. Or wearign diapers. Thanks.
40 >>I don't want to build a CD from scratch (and doing so looks like it
41 >>would require setting up a fully "generic" box to build). I just want
42 >>to add two files to an existing ISO.
43 >>
44 >>How would I extract boot_catalog and eltorito_boot_image from an
45 >>existing ISO?
46 >
47 > you can actually omit -c i think. use isolinux.bin (should be on the
48 > livecd) as boot image.
49
50 Huh. Ok; when I glanced through the man page for mkisofs, I got the
51 impression that the files added by -b and -c wouldn't appear on the
52 filesystem. I don't know how El Torido actually works, at the ISO
53 level, I only know it's something like a bootable floppy image that a
54 capable BIOS loads and executes.
57 :wq