From: Jonas de Buhr <jonas.de.buhr@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Modifying LiveCDs
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:39:46
1 >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=build+your+own+live+cd+gentoo
2 >
3 >Not so useful, thanks. Google fails me regularly. Personalized
4 >searches are getting to be a real sore spot for me; not just mine, but
5 >those of people pointing me at Google assuming my searches for the
6 >same keywords will get the same results. Particular grating is when
7 >someone sends me a link to a search, then the link to what I was
8 >looking for, and says something like "first hit". My first *page*
9 >didn't even have that link on it.
10
11 well... i didn't know if it was ok to post links to unofficial gentoo
12 resources on this list which is why i went with the search.
13 i also meant to point out that what you are looking for is fairly
14 common knowledge and that you can easily find all the information you
15 need with a simple search query. and i assumed that you would be
16 capable to find the one search result that does describe all you need
17 to know in the first 5 hits. i even checked that it is in there in
18 different google TLDs and with different hl= options.
19
20 >> alternatively you could use catalyst:
21 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/catalyst/
22 >>
23 >> or you just mount the iso, modify it, run mkisofs on it and burn it.
24 >> the mkisofs options you are looking for are -b and -c.
25 >
26 >I knew there was going to be something I wasn't going to know, and it
27 >looks like the values passed to -b and -c are it.
28
29 again, the hint you maybe didn't get was: you will have to do some of
30 the work yourself.
31
32 >I don't want to build a CD from scratch (and doing so looks like it
33 >would require setting up a fully "generic" box to build). I just want
34 >to add two files to an existing ISO.
35 >
36 >How would I extract boot_catalog and eltorito_boot_image from an
37 >existing ISO?
38
39 you can actually omit -c i think. use isolinux.bin (should be on the
40 livecd) as boot image.