From: Rob <europa100@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mozilla-bin port not rendering correctly/ HOWTO disaster
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:06:55
1 znx wrote:
2
3 >Hi,
4 >
5 >Have a look at the wiki, see if it can tame your font issues, did mine:
6 >http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts
7 >
8 >Cheers
9 >
10 >On 14/10/05, Rob <europa100@×××××××.net> wrote:
13 >>I have never seen this behavior except with the Gentoo mozilla-bin port.
14 >>It is not rendering text correctly. I have tried Arial Truetype font
15 >>and ordinary fonts. What is does is print the letters of text with huge
16 >>spaces between them. It does not occur on all web pages, but enough to
17 >>be really annoying. I do not know if this is a port problem or a basic
18 >>mozilla problem. Has any one else seen this? the mozilla version is 1.7.12
19 >>
20 >>Thanks, Rob.
21 >>--
22 >>gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
30 Well, after attempting to use the HOWTO Xorg and Fonts, I am worse off
31 than when I started. Web pages still do not render. I had to hack the
32 Windowmaker config files so that it would use fonts that it could find.
33 Otherwise it would abort. The previous fonts that it used are no longer
34 accessible. I have no idea where they are.
35
36 Now I can't use the Windowmaker config utility as a regular user as I
37 suppose it can no longer find it. I have no idea why that would be
38 happening.
39
40 I do not understand why it now takes 12 pages of modifications just to
41 have fonts render correctly. I have installed Gentoo in the past and
42 everything just worked. No modifications of anything had to be
43 performed. This is really a huge step backwards.
44
45 I am pretty certain that the last installation of Gentoo I did used Xorg.
46
47 I am tempted to just reinstall everything.
48
49 Rob
50 --
51 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list