From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is a "packet"? Was: Checksum error
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:07:52
1 On Sun, 2009-10-11 at 11:58 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > sometimes upstream changes a packet without renaming it
3
4 This got me thinking. I've been hearing the word "packet" used a lot
5 lately to describe software. I always think "is this a new thing or did
6 they mean 'package'?
7
8 I tried doing my own investigation. Googling "software packet" returns
9 mostly software about network monitoring. Googling "software package"
10 returns just what you'd expect. Yet I've heard a few people lately
11 describe software as a "packet". Did these people phonetically mis-hear
12 "package" as "packet"? Is this something new? Sometimes I think to
13 correct these people but perhaps I'm the one who needs correcting?