From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:12:24
1 Bon jour!
2
3 On Jan 15, 2008 2:29 PM, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 > > I don't quite understand. When you're installing stuff from
7 > > within Kubuntu (or whatever Live CD), you're in a Gentoo chroot.
8 > > Why can't you install mirrorselect there and run mirrorselect
9 > > in the chroot?
10 > You are right, this would work. I had just not thought this program
11 > would be in the portage tree.
12
13 Hm. Okay. Where else should it be? What do Install CD
14 users do, to get mirrorselect? For me, not having used a
15 Gentoo Install CD once, the natural thing to do to get a
16 program on gentoo is "emerge $program". And "mirrorselect"
17 is a program.
18
19 > > > Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
20 > > > automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).
21 > >
22 > > Same question, basically. Why can''t you run genkernel
23 > > in the chroot (I only used genkernel once, and then switched
24 > > back to compiling the kernel by myself)?
25 >
26 > Same reply :-)
27 > May I just point that you are stating this as an experienced user, who
28 > can afford some detachment from the documentation process ?
29
30 I admit it - I don't know what's in the documentation. As
31 I'm also too lazy to check right now, I go by my assumptions
32 now - and they are, that genkernel is yet another program
33 which needs to be installed in the chroot and thus needs
34 to emerge'd first.
35
36 Is that not the case for Install CD users?
37
38 Best regards,
39 Michael
40 --