From: Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Installing via GRML
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:30:14
1 On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > On Jan 15, 2008 1:54 PM, Jean-Baptiste Mestelan <mestelan@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 15/01/2008, Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de> wrote:
6 >
7 > [ Installing via GRML ]
8 >
9 > > > IOW: Use the original documentation. Chapter 2 is of course then
10 > > > of no use, for the most part. The thing about hdparm and user
11 > > > accounts is valid none the less, though.
12 > >
13 > > I went through a new install process this week, using Kubuntu liveCD,
14 > > and indeed the original documentation applies OK.
15 > > Only one minor notice : the part about using 'mirrorselect' will not
16 > > work, as this tool will not included in an alternate liveCD, so you
17 > > will have to select the mirrors manually (check the syntax beforehand,
18 > > maybe).
19 >
20 > I don't quite understand. When you're installing stuff from
21 > within Kubuntu (or whatever Live CD), you're in a Gentoo chroot.
22 > Why can't you install mirrorselect there and run mirrorselect
23 > in the chroot?
24 You are right, this would work. I had just not thought this program
25 would be in the portage tree.
26
27 > > Also, obviously, you will not be able to use genkernel and
28 > > automagically compile kernel (there could be other ways ?).
29 >
30 > Same question, basically. Why can''t you run genkernel
31 > in the chroot (I only used genkernel once, and then switched
32 > back to compiling the kernel by myself)?
33
34 Same reply :-)
35 May I just point that you are stating this as an experienced user, who
36 can afford some detachment from the documentation process ? This might
37 not be the case for every single person starting a Gentoo install ;
38 but thanks for providing us these different options.
39
40 Jean-Baptiste
41 --
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list