From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:54:02
1 On 12/04/12 02:43, Dale wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> On 12/04/12 01:55, Dale wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Somewhat related question. I use the Nvidia drivers here and have not
6 >>> had any issues in a while. How does one use VESA if the Nvidia drivers
7 >>> fail? One used to change it in xorg.conf but most don't have a
8 >>> xorg.conf any more.
9 >>
10 >> You have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory though. You can put
11 >> snippets in it with the *.conf extension and X.Org will read it when it
12 >> starts. For my GPU setting for example, I use
13 >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/gpu.conf. It has a "Device" section in with:
14 >>
15 >> Driver "nvidia"
16 >>
17 >> This can be changed to "vesa" at any time.
23 > So basically it is done the same way. If you don't have a *.conf file,
24 > just create one and chose vesa. I was thinking this had changed and I
25 > missed it. I guess I haven't missed anything. Weird. lol
26
27 The thing that changed is that X.Org was unable to pick defaults in the
28 absence of a config file. Obviously you need a way to change the
29 settings if the defaults are wrong for you. This hasn't and, obviously,
30 will not change.