From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to harden a system
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 18:36:55
1 On 12/24/2017 02:43 AM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > Oh I just noticed that vtv is now default enabled for gcc, so you
3 > could try;
4 >
5 > CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fvtable-verify=std"
6 >
7 > I tried this on earlier gccs, and there was a fair bit of breakage so
8 > i didnt persue it. Maybe i'll re-try with 7.2 to see how things have
9 > progressed.
10
11 Would you please elaborate on what types of breakage you saw?
12
13 > "security feature that verifies at run time, for every virtual call,
14 > that the vtable pointer through which the call is made is valid for the
15 > type of the object, and has not been corrupted or overwritten. If an
16 > invalid vtable pointer is detected at run time, an error is reported
17 > and execution of the program is immediately halted"
18
19 I'm extremely new to these types of thing and don't truly understand the
20 failure mode of things like this. It sound slike vtable-verify will
21 conceptually make things more secure. But I don't know enough to know
22 how likely believed to be perfectly happy code will pass or fail such
23 vtable verifications.
28 Grant. . . .
29 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature