From: Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 01:45:49
1 On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >
7 >> Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post
8 >> your xdm and kdm log file.
9 >>
10 >> Hung
11 >>
12 >> Francisco Ares wrote:
13 >> > Hi, All
14 >> >
15 >> > After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's
16 >> > user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few
17 >> > seconds after password, the login windows reappears.
18 >> >
19 >> > But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing
20 >> > that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.
21 >> >
22 >> > Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?
23 >> >
24 >> > Thanks
25 >> > Francisco
26 >> >
27 >> > --
30 > Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.
31 >
32 > I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet.
33 > Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.
34 >
35 > Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during
36 > my login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in
37 > /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:
38 >
39 > (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
40 > (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
41 >
42 > I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.
43 >
44 > Any hint?
45 >
46 > Thanks again
47 >
48 > Francisco
51 Well, I had consolekit up an running and didn't know that, sorry.
52
53 There is no xdm log, and the only two entries already mentioned.
54
55 I'll try to remove the user and add it again, perhaps a permissions issue.
56
57 Thanks again
58 Francisco
59 --
60 "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you
61 and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one
62 idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas." -
63 George Bernard Shaw