From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kdm or kde won't login specific user, but "startx" works
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:09:31
1 On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Francisco Ares <frares@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 2:29 AM, Gmail <hungptit@×××××.com> wrote:
9 >>
10 >>> Have you added consolekit to the boot level? If you did then please post
11 >>> your xdm and kdm log file.
12 >>>
13 >>> Hung
14 >>>
15 >>> Francisco Ares wrote:
16 >>> > Hi, All
17 >>> >
18 >>> > After several upgrades, now kdm (apparently) doesn't login my wife's
19 >>> > user - or perhaps kde doesn't keep an open session for her: a few
20 >>> > seconds after password, the login windows reappears.
21 >>> >
22 >>> > But the strange thing is that logging in a text console and issuing
23 >>> > that old and good "startx" command, the kde session starts as expected.
24 >>> >
25 >>> > Anyone have any idea where should I start checking?
26 >>> >
27 >>> > Thanks
28 >>> > Francisco
29 >>> >
30 >>> > --
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >> Hy, Hung, thanks for your answer.
34 >>
35 >> I don't have consolekit at boot runlevel. Don't even have it emerged yet.
36 >> Didn't know I was supposed to. Doing so right now.
37 >>
38 >> Meanwhile, I have no xdm log, but in kdm.log there is a difference during
39 >> my login and my wife's login, it is this only two entries in
40 >> /var/log/kdm.log after my wife's user login:
41 >>
42 >> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
43 >> (EE) XKB: No components provided for device Virtual core keyboard
44 >>
45 >> I've done a search for "Virtual core" and didn't find a thing up to now.
46 >>
47 >> Any hint?
48 >>
49 >> Thanks again
50 >>
51 >> Francisco
54 > Well, I had consolekit up an running and didn't know that, sorry.
55 >
56 > There is no xdm log, and the only two entries already mentioned.
57 >
58 > I'll try to remove the user and add it again, perhaps a permissions issue.
62 Have you checked to see what ~/.xsession-errors contains? It might give you
63 some hints as to what is happening. Also, does top show anything consuming a
64 lot of CPU or a lot of memory? (M to sort by memory usage, P to sort by CPU
65 usage)
66
67 -James