From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Drive Crash - Please Help
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 22:49:55
1 Hi Grant,
2 on Friday, 2007-01-26 at 09:47:51, you wrote:
3 > My laptop is currently still copying everything to my desktop system
4 > via tar and ssh.
5
6 That's good. dd would be easier on the HD in case it's breaking but if you have a filesystem
7 error you'd still have to fix that after copying back. If the HD is not
8 about to die, tar (or rsync as Neil mentioned) is much better.
9
10 > When I ran rc this morning, I saw that ssh started so it must have
11 > stopped some time overnight as it usually does. The laptop was still
12 > running the tar | ssh command I had started the night before. Could
13 > the desktop be missing some of the laptop's data since the desktop
14 > wasn't running ssh all night, or would it "catch up" now that ssh is
15 > running?
16
17 If the connection didn't break on the laptop side (ssh|tar reporting a
18 broken pipe), you should be fine.
19
20 cheers!
21 Matthias
22 --
23 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
24 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665