From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] arts crasheing: FIXED!
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 15:40:44
1 Schleimer, Ben schreef:
2 > Hi again, I figured out that artsd was crashing because I was trying
3 > to play a .ogg without having emerged kdemultimedia with the vorbis
4 > USE flag set.
5
6 Well, that makes sense. Congratulations!
9 > I added the USE flag, reemerged kdemultimedia (which wasn't
10 > autoemerge when I did emerge -ND world??)
11
12 If kdemultimedia wasn't emerged by itself, but rather as a direct
13 dependency-- of amarok, for example-- you would need -u (--update) to
14 catch it. Emerge world itself handles items directly in the world file
15 (in this example amarok) and --deep handles deep dependencies (such as
16 kcontrols, which is a direct dependency of konqueror, which is a direct
17 dependency of amarok, which makes kcontrols a deep/indirect dependency
18 of amarok, since kcontrols is required for one of amarok's direct
19 dependencies to run). --update catches the direct dependencies of the
20 program in your world file, and in fact it's not too wise to update
21 --deep without -u as well, since that kinda reinforces the very crown of
22 the pyramid (the packages directly in your world file), and the very
23 foundation (indirect/deep dependencies of the packages in your world
24 file), without reinforcing the middle(direct dependencies of the
25 packages in your world file), which can lead to errors of ommision (a
26 library gets updated without the package that depends on that library
27 being updated, and so the package that depends on the library crashes
28 the application that depends on the package that depends on the library,
29 because only the new version of the "middle package" works with the
30 updated library, when the version that you have installed and did not
31 update does not). In terms of problems potentially caused by doing an
32 emerge -D world without -u, you got off fairly easy.
33
34 <snip>
35
36 > HOnestly though, is there some kind of standard set of flags one
37 > should have enabled?
38
39 Well, there are the default USE flags, of course, but..."should have"?
40 Under Gentoo? "Um, no," she said mildly, stifling snickers, since that
41 would be unkind. The entire design of Gentoo revolves around choice.
42 Your choice. Under Gentoo, your system is quite definitively yours, your
43 creation, your responsibility. Which is, imo, as it should be-- only you
44 know what your system needs to run the way you want it to. But you do
45 have to know what you want your system to do, and you have to pay
46 attention to the infrastructure (USE flags and the like) to see if the
47 current setup is going to follow your useage pattern, and change it if not.
48
49 If I don't have any *.ogg files on my system, I don't need or care about
50 the +vorbis or +ogg files being set. But you do, and it's up to you to
51 know that and to use the available tools (like emerge --verbose) to see
52 what packages use these flags and make sure that they are set before
53 emerging those packages. Cost of doing business, as they say.
56 > Also, maybe there could be a standard way of telling the user that
57 > the feature is disabled because of a USE flag instead of just
58 > crashing.
59
60 Cute idea, but really, how would that work? Since it would have to be
61 encoded in the program, and that's obviously out of our control. Some
62 programs do say "I don't have support for this feature", but most of the
63 time-- especially with multimedia programs, ime-- they just crash. But
64 then again, only source-based distros allow you to pick and choose your
65 feature-set before compiling the app; binary distros just choose all
66 features and enable them, for the most part. Since any given program is
67 ultimately expected to work under both sets of conditions, I can see how
68 the designers would not be eager to prioritize their development time to
69 design in a feature for what is ultimately a minority need (thus-and-so
70 feature is not enabled), since the majority of 'users' (meaning
71 distributions repackaging the application for... distribution) are not
72 going to need this functionality (since all features are by default
73 enabled), and those who do are expected/hoped to be
74 experienced enough to know that they need to verify the feature-set
75 beforehand. The fact that you fall outside both these categories (not
76 using a binary distribution, yet did not verify your feature set before
77 compiling) is, sadly, not likely to engender a great deal of sympathy.
78 We're a hard crew, we Linux users (or maybe it's just me).
79
80 But you could well post an enhancement bug somewhere (you could try
81 b.g.o and see if they'll bump it upstream, or a bug on the individual
82 application's site if it has one, or with KDE, if the individual
83 application doesn't have its own bug reporting structure), and see what
84 the response is. You never know.
87 > PS. The things you learn after hours and hours of messing with the
88 > system... Not sure if it's worth it...
89
90 That's your decision and your choice, too. There's SuSE, there's Debian
91 ($DEITY knows, there's good and plenty of Debian), there's Mandriva,
92 there's Windows.
93
94 It's your brainpower, it's your time, it's your computer. Do as you will.
95
96 Holly
97 --
98 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list