From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: post build files
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:08:37
1 On 09/11/2014 12:20 PM, James wrote:
2 > Yes, I've been all over this. It's onto much of the Apache clustering
3 > codes that are not simple to configure in the ebuild. Besides the raw
4 > packege codes, like mesos, spark, scala, cassandra, etc there are a
5 > mulitude of fast moving codes written in Java and Python that need to
6 > be tested. Java is not difficult, but voluminous. Every problem
7 > somebody encouters, gets solved by some java "bolt on" code, rather
8 > than fixing/extending the main (mesos) sourcecode. As an old C hack,
9 > it's a tough pill to swallow, but I'm pursing this as best I can. I
10 > sure feel empathy for the java herd, but hey, now we are doing away
11 > with herds?
12 Part of the problem with a lot of open source Java projects is that they
13 *require* Oracle's Java build, and installing Oracle's JDK in Gentoo is
14 not a simple 'emerge <package_name_here>'.
15 > That said, I'm a bit stressed about 'maven'. We only have maven.bin.
16 > Much is dependant on it and java. For many reasons, java is not well
17 > supported in Gentoo. I just hope, I do not have to leave the Gentoo
18 > distro; because much of what I need (clustering) is java critical. You
19 > think I can build a gentoo cluster based on these?
20 I'm not a huge fan of Maven - it's a massive, complex morass. That said,
21 I can look into building it.
22 > Does the Gentoo dev team operate a robust gentoo cluster for gentoo
23 > development needs? Should they?
24 What would it do? Other than continuous integration, I can't see much
25 use (although I'm not a dev, so that's not saying much).
26 > Clusters that perform best are built on mesos/spark.
27 I can't remember the last time I saw Mesos/Spark on the TOP500 list...
28 but also, they're both young projects.
29 > But now, I need robust clustering and from the open source research
30 > work I have performed, Apache is the Only viable choice. Ubuntu has
31 > it. Debian Has it. RedHat has it. CentOS has it, but, we cannot
32 > (willnot?) sustain Apache style clustering at Gentoo because ? (dunno
33 > the reason; nothing seems plausible).
34 From what I can tell, the reason is that it is not worth anyone's time
35 to do the massive amount of development and maintainence for something
36 that they won't benefit from.
37 > Hell, I'd even be willing to pay for a java support to develop the
38 > java (sourcecode) based tools; but in the past that idea has been very
39 > frowned up by the gentoo "think tank".
40 If I wasn't in school I'd be all over this...
41
42 Anyways, I'll try and look at Maven. Not making any promises; I'm pretty
43 busy right now.
44
45 Alec