From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: post build files
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 16:21:25
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > If you literally want a list of everything that was installed by a
5 > Gentoo ebuild, then the simplest thing is to run qlist from
6 > app-portage/portage-utils.
7
8 wonderful idea. Despite having used qlist many times, it never dawned
9 on me for this purpose.....
12 > If you're trying to learn how ebuilds work, devmanual.gentoo.org is
13 > the definitive resource. If you have specific questions feel free to
14 > ask, but just about anything you want to know is there. By all means
15 > try reading a few ebuilds to get a hang for things as well, but I'd
16 > start with simple ones (avoid trying to learn by looking at packages
17 > that use complex eclasses). The simplest ebuilds tend to be for
18 > simple, standalone programs.
19
20 Yes, I've been all over this. It's onto much of the Apache clustering
21 codes that are not simple to configure in the ebuild. Besides the raw
22 packege codes, like mesos, spark, scala, cassandra, etc there are
23 a mulitude of fast moving codes written in Java and Python that
24 need to be tested. Java is not difficult, but voluminous. Every problem
25 somebody encouters, gets solved by some java "bolt on" code, rather
26 than fixing/extending the main (mesos) sourcecode. As an old C hack,
27 it's a tough pill to swallow, but I'm pursing this as best I can.
28 I sure feel empathy for the java herd, but hey, now we are doing away
29 with herds?
32 > Keep in mind that ebuilds work by extending functions defined by PMS,
33 > so an ebuild can contain fairly little content and yet be fairly
34 > functional (the default functions are running for most of the build
35 > phases). The idea is if all a package does is run configure ; make ;
36 > make install it often needs almost nothing in the ebuild to work.
37
38 Yea, I got this (mostly....still new skills...) but it is the fancy footwork
39 in the java and python worlds that keeps me doing more reading and research
40 than coding/compiling/testing..... of the Clustering goodies.
41
42 That said, I'm a bit stressed about 'maven'. We only have maven.bin.
43 Much is dependant on it and java. For many reasons, java is not well
44 supported in Gentoo. I just hope, I do not have to leave the Gentoo
45 distro; because much of what I need (clustering) is java critical.
46
47 You think I can build a gentoo cluster based on these? [1] [2]
48 Does the Gentoo dev team operate a robust gentoo cluster for gentoo
49 development needs? Should they?
50
51 Clusters that perform best are built on mesos/spark. Spark is
52 an "in-memory" computational enviroment for mesos clusters;
53 and it will change *everything* as systems become richly adormed
54 with ample, low cost ram can consolidate into amazing clusters [3]
55 RDD, Resilient Distributed Data is changing everying that is computationally
56 intensive.
59 I do appreciate all of the wonderful folks at gentoo (devs and users).
60 I have been using Gentoo since early 2004. But now, I need robust
61 clustering and from the open source research work I have performed,
62 Apache is the Only viable choice. Ubuntu has it. Debian Has it. RedHat
63 has it. CentOS has it, but, we cannot (willnot?) sustain Apache style
64 clustering at Gentoo because ? (dunno the reason; nothing seems plausible).
65
66 PS, I *HATE* oracle more than most, but for me that is not a valid
67 reason for piss_poor Java support. Google runs Java on top of embedded
68 linux (it's called Android) We even had Android on Gentoo,
69 it's call Gentroid [4]. If folks would just get over it (java_baggage),
70 we could have a robust Java platform on Gentoo; or am I missing something?
71
72 For my needs, I do not see path forward for Gentoo, without robust java
73 support. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay for a java support to develop
74 the java (sourcecode) based tools; but in the past that idea has been very
75 frowned up by the gentoo "think tank". But, devs with their own agendas
76 can spend their time doing exact what they want (thing gentoo needs); I just
77 cannot pay somebody to do the same (with Java)?
78
79 As hard as I can, I'm working on this, but I'm no Java maverick....
80 far from it.
81
82 (actually this is just to get it "off my chest". I feel better now
83 no needs for anyone to reply, unless you are interested in working
84 on Apache-mesos/spark or java/maven). Please, all flames in a new
85 thread.
90 James
91
92 [1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Cluster