From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] wtf is superfloppy? (vosonic usb drive)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 07:01:26
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have just purchased the Vosonic X's-Drive 6230 (hate that
4 punctuation ;) under the promise of linux support...
5
6 Well, it "doesn't" work for me - there is one or two unhelpful lines of
7 text on their website that mention linux.
8
9 All I've found so far, is something mentioning the "superfloppy" format
10 (what's that?). Supposedly I can `mount /dev/sda /mnt/tmp` (note the
11 sda, not sdax) but this doesn't work:
12
13 $ sudo mount /dev/sda /mnt/tmp/
14 mount: No medium found
15
16 There is no /dev/sda1, sda2, etc, as per my other usb storage drives
17 (only my internal hard drive shows):
18
19 $ cat /proc/partitions
20 major minor #blocks name
21
22 3 0 58605120 hda
23 3 1 40131 hda1
24 3 2 10498477 hda2
25 3 3 104422 hda3
26 3 4 1 hda4
27 3 5 1060258 hda5
28 3 6 10594836 hda6
29 3 7 17157388 hda7
30 3 8 5783368 hda8
31 3 9 13366048 hda9
34 dmesg reports
35
36 usb 1-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
37 scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
38 usb-storage: device found at 7
39 usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
40 Vendor: Model: VP6230 Rev: 1.07
41 Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 00
42 sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
43 sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
44 usb-storage: device scan complete
45
46 fdisk doesn't work either:
47 $ sudo fdisk /dev/sda
48 Password:
49
50 Unable to open /dev/sda
51
52 I heard some whispers of other vosonic owners - how did you get your
53 drive working? I have a plain IBM 20Gb in it at the moment, formatted
54 with the X's Drive itself.
55
56 The drive shows under windows, after the 3 card reader slots.
57
58 MTIA!
62 Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
63 [There is no great genius without some touch of madness.]
64 -- Seneca
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list