From: Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] minimal / stand-alone mail daemon?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 07:14:28
1 On Mon Jan 16 16:51:16 2017, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > Hello again,
3 >
4 > it's no secret that I'm partial to the Exim MTA and I love to teach it
5 > new tricks. However running Exim on a workstation (mobile or not) is
6 > serious overkill. Exim compares to sendmail in power but also in the
7 > complexity of its configuration. Most of this power is wasted when all
8 > it's doing is delivering output from cron and at. Perhaps more
9 > importantly, though, it tends to assume its host is always online and
10 > DNS is available to resolve arbitrary domain names; this can cause
11 > misbehavior when the assumption fails. I just made a change in the
12 > configuration and suddenly my desktop started stalling for 20 seconds on
13 > boot; my investigation, which was longer than I'd have liked, showed
14 > that it was due to dnsmasq trying to answer a query from Exim - and
15 > failing because the network interface was not fully up when the query
16 > was made.
17 >
18 > I know that there's a number of "minimal" MTAs which are supposedly
19 > suitable for the workstation role - such as nullmailer or ssmtp. But,
20 > they all seem to want to completely avoid dealing with local mailboxes
21 > and deliver everything to a hub server. What I need is just the
22 > opposite - a mailer that is completely ignorant of networking but
23 > understands mail store formats and local aliases so it can deliver
24 > output from daemons, even if no network is available. Is there any such
25 > thing? Of course a gentoo package would be great but I can
26 > self-maintain too if necessary.
27 >
28 > And if you don't know of one, I'd like to hear how you deal with this.
29
30 Hi,
31
32 As a tiny mailserver, you can use mail-mta/opensmtpd, with a
33 configuration like this:
34
35 listen on localhost
36 table aliases file:/etc/mail/aliases
37 accept for local alias <aliases> deliver to mbox
40 alarig