From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xen on new install reboots by itself
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:05:26
1 "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > On 8 April 2015 14:43:02 GMT-07:00, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>hydra <hydrapolic@×××××.com> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 3:20 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> symack <symack@×××××.com> writes:
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Other than that, unless you really do need full virtualization: I'm
11 >>>> finding Linux containers to be far more manageable than virtual
12 >>>> machines, and much more efficient.
13 >>>>
14 >>>>
15 >>> Can you please post some more details?
16 >>
17 >>About containers?
18 >>
19 >>There's very useful documentation about them like
20 >>https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LXC ...
21 >>
22 >>What can I say? Virtualization with xen is like juggling with a set of
23 >>black boxes each of which aren't exactly accessible; the
24 >>documentation sucks, it's hard work to get it running and likewise hard
25 >>to maintain.
26 >
27 > I disagree. Been using Xen for over 10 years now and find it very easy to use.
28 > The documentation could be better on the Xen site itself, but there is plenty of decent documentation available via Google.
29
30 Then we just disagree about this.
31
32 >>Virtualization with containers is basically as simple as running just
33 >>another daemon.
34 >
35 > Not quite. I use virtualization to minimizer the physical hardware. Xen is easy for that. Containers are what chroot jails should have been.
36 > But there is no simple method to set these up when security isolation is your goal.
37
38 Containers or chroots?
39
40 >>Which the "better" tool, or combination of tools is, depends on what
41 >>you
42 >>want to accomplish. You could use containers in a VM, too, or use
43 >>virtualbox along with containers to run the odd VMs that require full
44 >>virtualzation.
45 >
46 > Virtualbox is nice for a quick test. I wouldn't use it for production.
47
48 Why not?
52 Again we must be afraid of speaking of daemons for fear that daemons
53 might swallow us. Finally, this fear has become reasonable.