From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Ekopath compiler failing to build - something about glibc development files
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 22:31:52
1 > On 13 January 2013, at 06:53, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > ...
3 > From all of the above, I think the important part is that I need to
4 > install some "glibc developement files". A google search doesn't point me
5 in
6 > the direction of what these might be. According to "eix glibc", I have
7 debug
8 > turned OFF - is this the problem?
9
10 The part about the "glibc development [sic] files" is mostly a red herring.
11 I'm not sure where it's coming from (I can't find that misspelling of
12 development in the portage source or any eclass, and it's not part of the
13 actual ebuild.)
14
15 The error happens any time the ekopath installation fails. AFAICT, the
16 ekopath ebuild doesn't really do anything except unpack the tarball and, in
17 the post-install step, run the binary installation program that ships with
18 ekopath. If anything at all happens when the installer is running, you get
19 the same error from portage. What is actually going wrong here is down the
20 bottom:
21
22 /usr/include/bits/byteswap.h: In function 'unsigned int
23 __bswap_32(unsigned int)':
24 /usr/include/bits/byteswap.h:46: error: '__builtin_bswap32' was not
25 declared in this scope
26 /usr/include/bits/byteswap.h: In function 'long long unsigned int
27 __bswap_64(long long unsigned int)':
28 /usr/include/bits/byteswap.h:110: error: '__builtin_bswap64' was not
29 declared in this scope
30
31 Last time I saw this is was because a package assumed I had gcc4.3 and I was
32 using an older version, but I highly doubt that's your problem.
33
34 One thing you can try is to run the installer manually. If you emerge the
35 package and let it fail, all the bits are left in the temporary work
36 folders, so you can do this:
37
38 cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102/work
39 ./ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102.run --prefix
40 /var/tmp/portage/dev-lang/ekopath-4.0.12.1_pre20121102/image/opt/ekopath
41
42 and walk through the installation manually. It's an agonizingly slow process
43 but it should work, or give you a better idea of what failed.
44
45 --Mike