From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A DNS question.
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 21:52:17
1 On Sun, 4 Mar 2007, Bob Young wrote:
2 > This isn't strictly a Gentoo question, but I'm setting up Gentoo box
3 > to be used as a secondary DNS server, plus some other duties, and I'm
4 > hoping there is a DNS wizard reading who can authoritatively answer my
5 > question.
6 >
7 > First off the machine has three network cards, one with a (DHCP)
8 > private IP (10.10.32.1) for talking to the local (Windows Domain) LAN.
9 > A second NIC with a (Manually configured) IP address (69.12.134.79)
10 > that is publicly registered (ns.debug1.com) as a secondary DNS for
11 > several domains. And the third NIC has a (Manually configured) private
12 > IP address (192.168.0.1) that will be used to "sniff" all traffic that
13 > crosses the DSL modem.
14 >
15 > Obviously on a given system each NIC is usually connected to a
16 > different domain, my question is, whether or not it
17 > is /legal/possible/okay to use different *hostnames* on different
18 > NICs?
19 >
20 > For example, in the scenario described above, assume the windows
21 > domain is named "mydomain.lan," can I have 69.12.134.79 (NIC #2)
22 > resolve to ns.debug1.com as that is it's publicly registered name,
23 > while IP address 10.10.32.1 (NIC #1) resolves to gentoo.mydomain.lan?
26 Given that 2 of your IP addresses are in RFC 1918 private IP space, it
27 is a good thing not to have your public DNS name resolve to those IP
28 addresses, as they should not be routable, and may be in use at amny
29 other sites (and thus could resolve to a local address at those sites).
30
31 Having multiple domain names, each pointing to a separate interface on
32 one machine is certainly within the rules for DNS, and is very
33 effective in certain situations. Some services (email especially) may
34 need to be configured with a list of "these DNS names are also the
35 local server" to operate correctly, but this should not be a huge
36 burden.
40 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
41 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
42 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list