From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to use EXTRA_ECONF?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:20:03
1 Neil Bothwick schreef:
2 > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:19:55 -0300, Matias Grana wrote:
5 >> I'm trying to compile vim with +clipboard support. One can do
6 >> this by passing --enable-clipboard to configure. There's no USE
7 >> flag for this feature. After some research, I've learned that the
8 >> way to do this is to configure the EXTRA_ECONF variable. Now the
9 >> question is: is there a file to put these variables in? Something
10 >> like /etc/portage/package.use but for econfs?
13 > You can set variables for individual ebuilds using
14 > /etc/portage/bashrc. save the attached file as /etc/portage/bashrc
15 > then do
16 >
17 > mkdir -p /etc/portage/env.d/app-editors echo
18 > >>/etc/portage/env.d/app-editors/vim
19 > 'EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-clipboard"'
20 >
21 > You can use this to set variables, or override default settings, for
22 > any package.
26 Oh, Neil, you're kidding, right? I'd had to use FEATURES="-nostrip" on
27 the command line for *ages* to get SDL to emerge unstripped so that it
28 would work with NWMovies (the hack that allows Neverwinter Nights to
29 play movies inside the game, like normal); the only reason I stopped was
30 because with the very most recent versions of SDL even that doesn't work
31 and I have to compile it manually after hacking one line in video.c.
32
33 But you're saying I could have just added echo >>
34 /etc/portage/env.d/media-libs/libsdl 'FEATURES="nostrip"' to
35 /etc/portage/bashrc and I would have been done, all those times-- could
36 have just emerged normally?
37
38 But man 5 portage doesn't say anything about /etc/portage/env.d, and it
39 doesn't say anything much about what precisely you can put in
40 /etc/portage/bashrc either:
41
42 SYNOPSIS
43 /etc/
44 make.globals
45 make.conf(5)
46
47 /etc/make.profile/
48 deprecated
49 make.defaults
50 packages
51 packages.build
52 package.provided
53 parent
54 use.defaults
55 use.mask
56 virtuals
57
58 /etc/portage/
59 bashrc
60 package.mask
61 package.unmask
62 package.keywords
63 package.use
64 mirrors
65 categories
66
67 /etc/portage/profile/
68 site-specific overrides of /etc/make.profile/
69
70 /usr/portage/profiles/
71 arch.list
72 categories
73 info_pkgs
74 info_vars
75 package.mask
76 profiles.desc
77 thirdpartymirrors
78 use.desc
79 use.local.desc
80 use.mask
81
82 /var/lib/portage/
83 world
84
85 (note no /etc/portage/env.d mentioned, so how would one know to create
86 it or that it would be recognized by Portage)
87
88 /etc/portage/
89
90 bashrc If needed, this file can be used to set up a
91 special environment for ebuilds, different from the
92 standard root environment. The syntax is the same
93 as for any other bash script.
94
95 (this says almost nothing, frankly, unless you are very familiar with
96 the 'standard root environment for ebuilds', and again, doesn't say
97 anything about which particular features of this enviroment may be
98 varied by this file, or if any of them may not be, in true 'not yet
99 implemented' fashion).
100
101 But then again, I restrict myself to the last stable version of Portage:
102
103 * sys-apps/portage
104 Available versions: 2.0.51.22-r3 ~2.0.53_rc5 [M]2.1.0_alpha20050718
105 Installed: 2.0.51.22-r3
106
107 Is it possible that the man page is updated in the unstable versions, or
108 that this is implemented in the unstable versions only, or are you just
109 very clever to have figured this all out :-) ?
110
111 Holly
112 --
113 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list