From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:00:22
1 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi Willie,
3 >
4 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
5 >> (Sorry if this one is a dupe... my SSH connection went kaplui and I
6 >> wasn't quite sure whether the mail got sent)
7 >>
8 >> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:04:25PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
9 >>> I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
10 >>> to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
11 >>
12 >> Why SAMBA?
13 >>
14 >> I've recently set up printing for a small home network following this
15 >> guide: http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
16 >>
17 >> Basically you just need
18 >>
19 >> 1) Correct permissions in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
20 >> a) You need the line "Port 631" to allow remote access
21 >> b) Maybe (I am not sure about this one) you need "Browsing On"
22 >> to allow sharing?
23 >> c) You need the section for "<Location />" to have "Allow From
24 >> 192.168.0.*" or whatever netmask you use.
25 >> 2) Either
26 >> a) A working printer that you can print locally from the cups
27 >> server via "lpr -P<NAME>". In this case you can just tell
28 >> the Windows computers to print to
29 >> http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<NAME>
30 >> using a generic postscript driver.
31 >
32 > Is this true for non-postscript printers? If so it's a great solution.
33 >
34 > I can get to the printers page on the server's Cups' GUI:
35 >
36 > http://192.168.1.59:631/printers
37 >
38 > It gives me a long, ugly descriptive name for the printer so I tried:
39 >
40 > lpr -P HP_PSC_1600_series_USB_1 optimize_mythdb.sh
41 >
42 > which did print correctly so I'm good to go so far.
45 >> or
46 >> b) A working printer for which you have the Windows drivers. You
47 >
48 > The Windows driver for this printer does not support network printing
49 > so I don't think this is an option.
52 >> need to then setup a raw queue (basically a print queue that
53 >> does not have a cups driver associated to it so the Windows
54 >> boxes can directly send commands to the printer). You tell
55 >> the Windows computers to print to
56 >> http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<RAW queue name>
57 >> using the Windows drivers for the printer.
60 > OK, so I'm not clear what the <RAW queue name> is. I see it discussed
61 > in the link you pointed us at but that was using some Fedora GUI app.
62 > Is this something you set up by hand in your cupsd.conf or
63 > printers.conf file?
64 >
65 > I'm curious whether Cups can accept postscript printing info coming
66 > across the network from the Windows box and then format it for my HP
67 > printer? I'm thinking you're saying it can if I get this RAW queue set
68 > up?
69 >
70 > My printer is available on my network already. All the Linux boxes can
71 > see it and print fine so it's shared. Howfully it doesn't need to be
72 > 'more' shared to make this work.
73 >
74 > Off to Google for more answers. The first few I found were your link
75 > as well as a few people asking how to set a RAW queue up!
76 >
77 > Thanks,
78 > Mark
79
80 If this non-samba setup can enable the raw print port, as it seems,
81 then you actually set it up in windows as a LOCAL printer, and create
82 a new port which points at the IP address of the printer. So it is
83 printing "locally" to the remote IP address.
84
85 Paul