From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:48:14
1 Hi Willie,
2
3 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu> wrote:
4 > (Sorry if this one is a dupe... my SSH connection went kaplui and I
5 > wasn't quite sure whether the mail got sent)
6 >
7 > On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:04:25PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
8 >> I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
9 >> to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
10 >
11 > Why SAMBA?
12 >
13 > I've recently set up printing for a small home network following this
14 > guide: http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
15 >
16 > Basically you just need
17 >
18 > 1) Correct permissions in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
19 > a) You need the line "Port 631" to allow remote access
20 > b) Maybe (I am not sure about this one) you need "Browsing On"
21 > to allow sharing?
22 > c) You need the section for "<Location />" to have "Allow From
23 > 192.168.0.*" or whatever netmask you use.
24 > 2) Either
25 > a) A working printer that you can print locally from the cups
26 > server via "lpr -P<NAME>". In this case you can just tell
27 > the Windows computers to print to
28 > http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<NAME>
29 > using a generic postscript driver.
30
31 Is this true for non-postscript printers? If so it's a great solution.
32
33 I can get to the printers page on the server's Cups' GUI:
34
35 http://192.168.1.59:631/printers
36
37 It gives me a long, ugly descriptive name for the printer so I tried:
38
39 lpr -P HP_PSC_1600_series_USB_1 optimize_mythdb.sh
40
41 which did print correctly so I'm good to go so far.
44 > or
45 > b) A working printer for which you have the Windows drivers. You
46
47 The Windows driver for this printer does not support network printing
48 so I don't think this is an option.
51 > need to then setup a raw queue (basically a print queue that
52 > does not have a cups driver associated to it so the Windows
53 > boxes can directly send commands to the printer). You tell
54 > the Windows computers to print to
55 > http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<RAW queue name>
56 > using the Windows drivers for the printer.
59 OK, so I'm not clear what the <RAW queue name> is. I see it discussed
60 in the link you pointed us at but that was using some Fedora GUI app.
61 Is this something you set up by hand in your cupsd.conf or
62 printers.conf file?
63
64 I'm curious whether Cups can accept postscript printing info coming
65 across the network from the Windows box and then format it for my HP
66 printer? I'm thinking you're saying it can if I get this RAW queue set
67 up?
68
69 My printer is available on my network already. All the Linux boxes can
70 see it and print fine so it's shared. Howfully it doesn't need to be
71 'more' shared to make this work.
72
73 Off to Google for more answers. The first few I found were your link
74 as well as a few people asking how to set a RAW queue up!
75
76 Thanks,
77 Mark
80 > Now, I tried setting up linux printing 5 years ago using the CLI and
81 > it sucked. Last week I used the GUI from cups and it was extremely
82 > easy. This is one of the few cases I highly recommend using the GUI:
83 > you are unlikely to fiddle with it much after it is installed, so
84 > the steep learning curve for dealing with the text config files may
85 > not be worth it. Since you mentioned that your server does not have a
86 > GUI, you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow admin remotely.
87 > Basically you just need to "Allow 192.168.0.*" or whatever appropriate
88 > subnet in the sections for "<Location /admin>" and
89 > "<Location /admin/conf>" in the config file. After that just point a
90 > browser to https://<cups server ip>:631/ and you are set to go.
91 >
92 > Note that the document in the link thinks that it may be necessary to
93 > modify the Windows host files and access the cups server via name,
94 > rather than ip address. For my home network it works fine with just
95 > the ip address. YMMV.
96 >
97 > HTH,
98 >
99 > W
100 > --
101 > Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
102 > 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
103 > A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.