From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Print to cups printer from Windows - any good instructions?
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:49:27
1 (Sorry if this one is a dupe... my SSH connection went kaplui and I
2 wasn't quite sure whether the mail got sent)
3
4 On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:04:25PM -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > I'm looking around for up to date instructions/wikis/howtos on how
6 > to set up Samba on my CUPS server to allow me to print from Windows.
7
8 Why SAMBA?
9
10 I've recently set up printing for a small home network following this
11 guide: http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html
12
13 Basically you just need
14
15 1) Correct permissions in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
16 a) You need the line "Port 631" to allow remote access
17 b) Maybe (I am not sure about this one) you need "Browsing On"
18 to allow sharing?
19 c) You need the section for "<Location />" to have "Allow From
20 192.168.0.*" or whatever netmask you use.
21 2) Either
22 a) A working printer that you can print locally from the cups
23 server via "lpr -P<NAME>". In this case you can just tell
24 the Windows computers to print to
25 http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<NAME>
26 using a generic postscript driver.
27 or
28 b) A working printer for which you have the Windows drivers. You
29 need to then setup a raw queue (basically a print queue that
30 does not have a cups driver associated to it so the Windows
31 boxes can directly send commands to the printer). You tell
32 the Windows computers to print to
33 http://<cups server ip>:631/printers/<RAW queue name>
34 using the Windows drivers for the printer.
35
36 Now, I tried setting up linux printing 5 years ago using the CLI and
37 it sucked. Last week I used the GUI from cups and it was extremely
38 easy. This is one of the few cases I highly recommend using the GUI:
39 you are unlikely to fiddle with it much after it is installed, so
40 the steep learning curve for dealing with the text config files may
41 not be worth it. Since you mentioned that your server does not have a
42 GUI, you need to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf to allow admin remotely.
43 Basically you just need to "Allow 192.168.0.*" or whatever appropriate
44 subnet in the sections for "<Location /admin>" and
45 "<Location /admin/conf>" in the config file. After that just point a
46 browser to https://<cups server ip>:631/ and you are set to go.
47
48 Note that the document in the link thinks that it may be necessary to
49 modify the Windows host files and access the cups server via name,
50 rather than ip address. For my home network it works fine with just
51 the ip address. YMMV.
52
53 HTH,
54
55 W
56 --
57 Willie W. Wong wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
58 408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
59 A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given.