From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: eix-test-obolete
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 17:06:42
1 On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 13 May 2008 11:46:26 -0500, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 > > > Another possibility is that ypou merged them with the --oneshot
5 > > > option, or that they were pulled in as a dependency of a package you
6 > > > no longer have (or has been updated to a version that is no longer
7 > > > dependent on them). What does "emerge --depclean -p" show?
8 > >
9 > > Along with dire warnings about ruining your system it lists 80 pkgs to
10 > > be removed. Some are also on the eix-test-obsolete list of 14.
11 > >
12 > > I suspect I had better not allow it to actually remove these pkgs.
13 >
14 > I think you should, as long as nothing system-critical is listed, and
15 > emerge shouts loudly about removing those.
18 On a long list of packages to be cleaned I find it comforting to use
19
20 emerge -C package1 package2 package3
21
22 and watch closely so that nothing system oriented gets taken out.
23
24 I've made the mistake of doing
25
26 emerge --depclean
27
28 on a long list of files and then having a system that was hard to fix.
29
30 Just my take on being careful.
31
32 - Mark