From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot gentoo with GTP Disk label
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 19:31:19
1 On Saturday 08 May 2010 15:16:36 claude angéloz wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I installed a gentoo on a very recent system (efi support) . AT the
5 > reception of the laptop it was a disk label msdos, with a boot
6 > partition w** installer ... I changed that against a GPt disk label. I
7 > can install without problem the gentoo , but now it doenst boot.
8 >
9 > I read some docs about gpt,mbr,boot principles and tried some tools
10 >
11 > - install the grub2 masked package and grub-install.
12 >
13 > - a special partion bios_grub as 1st bootable partition.
14 > but actually no succesful...
15 > but in the parted i did not see this "bios_grub" as flag...
16 >
17 > I found some tips from the web , but i guess that was only valid for a
18 > macintel system, not a normal pc with a disk labeled gpt and an efi
19 > support.
20 >
21 > I know that it is not required an efi partiton to boot the os with
22 > pc/bios and gpt disk. Or is it false ?
23 >
24 > If anybody has an other idea. Or I must abandon the gpt disk label ?
25 > Is there an equivalent refitr in OS x86 ?
26 >
27 > Thanks
28 > Best regards
29 > Claude
30
31 I do not have either an efi machine or a gpt disk to know for sure, but
32 perhaps the following two applications may be of help in creating a EFI
33 binary:
36 * sys-boot/mbr-gpt
37 Available versions:
38 ~ 0.0.1 "~x86 ~amd64"
39 Homepage: http://aybabtu.com/mbr-gpt/
42 * sys-boot/gnu-efi
43 Available versions:
44 * 3.0a-r1 "ia64 x86"
45 ~ 3.0e "~ia64 ~x86 ~amd64"
46 ~ 3.0g "~amd64 ia64 ~x86"
47 ~ 3.0i "~amd64 ~ia64 ~x86"
48 Homepage: http://developer.intel.com/technology/efi
51 Instructions for installing, booting using EFI systems are here:
52
53 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-
54 ia64.xml?style=printable&part=1&chap=2
55
56 HTH
57 --
58 Regards,