From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:20:02
1 On 2012-01-05 08:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I fiddle around a lot with the hardware on those and udev deals with
4 > that nicely considering udev is designed to deal with that nicely.
5
6 I confess to being quite ignorant when it comes to what magic udev does
7 behind the scenes but what makes it different to any other device
8 manager (well, I don't know any other than mdev but...)? I.e. what
9 technical problem(s) does udev solve that no other device manager can't?
10 What is the technical need for something else than a device file under
11 /dev that can be used to communicate with the kernel?
12
13 What I mean is: If you say "... considering udev is designed to deal
14 with that..." you seem to indicate that you know what it does and why it
15 does what it does... and henceforth the technical reason why the
16 rearrangements of the file system hierarchy is necessary...
17
18 > Becoming rather lazy in my old age is getting to be a factor too
19
20 Ho hum... so "you lazy old fart" is true then? ;-)
21
22 Best regards
23
24 Peter K