From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:09:22
1 On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 09:17:23 +0100
2 pk <peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > On 2012-01-05 08:43, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > I fiddle around a lot with the hardware on those and udev deals with
7 > > that nicely considering udev is designed to deal with that nicely.
8 >
9 > I confess to being quite ignorant when it comes to what magic udev
10 > does behind the scenes but what makes it different to any other device
11 > manager (well, I don't know any other than mdev but...)? I.e. what
12 > technical problem(s) does udev solve that no other device manager
13 > can't? What is the technical need for something else than a device
14 > file under /dev that can be used to communicate with the kernel?
15 >
16 > What I mean is: If you say "... considering udev is designed to deal
17 > with that..." you seem to indicate that you know what it does and why
18 > it does what it does... and henceforth the technical reason why the
19 > rearrangements of the file system hierarchy is necessary...
20
21 I don't claim any special deep knowledge of these things, but a
22 superficial glance over the packages tells you a lot. udev is designed
23 to deal with any realistic device needs on modern systems - it's the
24 kitchen sink.
25
26 mdev has a much narrower scope where things are considerably more
27 static.
28
29 As for re-arranging the fs layout, I think it was Canek in the last
30 thread that gave an excellent example of why this is needed. When
31 devices hotplug, or need to become active early on in the boot process,
32 they need to run code that can be located almost anywhere. It wouldn't
33 be fun trying to get a wireless keyboard going when it's start-up
34 script needs to get into /usr/lib/firmware and /usr isn't mounted yet.
35
36 The example was something along the lines of a machine that has no
37 physical keyboard or a port for one, it uses a bluetooth keyboard. But
38 the main file systems are encrypted using a key that's on a smartcard.
39 To decrypt and mount the filesystems, the drivers for keyboard,
40 bluetooth and smart card, plus all firmware, needs to be loaded first.
41 This is actually not all that far-fetched, and it's a classic bootstrap
42 problem first solved in the 60s. It much more complex now than it was
43 then but the principles behind the solution are much the same.
44
45 I do agree with collapsing the executable code in /usr into /, or
46 having /usr on the root partition. A separate /usr/{,s}bin is pretty
47 pointless and was never done for safety or maintenance reasons. It was
48 done way way way back when disks were small and a convenient hack was
49 to keep the OS on the boot device and user apps somewhere else on
50 bigger but slower storage (which often was remote).
51
52 If /usr is local, what really is the point of having it separate
53 from /? Have you ever found a Linux system in any condition that could
54 not start just because the stuff in /usr was available? I haven't.
55
56 Even the split between bin and sbin is arbitrary. It's only there so
57 that users can take sbin out of PATH and not have the screen cluttered
58 with endless junk when they tab-tab. It makes much more sense to me to
59 just have one single bin and lib location and shove everything into it.
60
61 What I do object to is any possible idea that an initramfs will be
62 *required* regardless. I know this isn't on the table just yet, but
63 it's a very small amount of creep before it is.
66 > > Becoming rather lazy in my old age is getting to be a factor too
67 >
68 > Ho hum... so "you lazy old fart" is true then? ;-)
69
70 Dunno about lazy old fart, but splog (snarky pedantic lazy old git)
71 definitely is. I think we decided that Neil is the lazy old fart :-)
76 Alan McKinnnon
77 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com