From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] another "headless device"-question: In search of the LAN
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 10:22:33
1 On Tuesday 30 Sep 2014 11:12:34 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > For a device (beaglebone black) I am looking for a solution
5 > of the following problem:
6 >
7 > This little computer boots a fully blown Gentoo linux. It is
8 > used mostly as headless device (capturing data from attached
9 > sensors).
10 >
11 > From time to time I want access it via LAN.
12 >
13 > If the device was booted without LAN attached, the configured
14 > ethernet was not found and dhcpd fails.
15 > So Gentoo goes into "no LAN"-mode (or something like that).
19 > Is there a less "waiting for the timeout"-prone way to refresh
20 > the status of the LAN beside putting the accoring init-script
21 > into a cron job ???
24 > Is there a way to check, whether a RJ45 was plugged into the
25 > device and if so to start init-script then?
26 >
27 > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
28 > Best regards,
29 > mcc
30
31 Typically used on laptops:
32
33 [I] sys-apps/ifplugd
34 Available versions:
35 0.28-r9 [doc selinux]
36 Installed versions: 0.28-r9(11:14:57 12/18/10)(-doc)
37 Homepage: http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/ifplugd/
39 cable detection
43 Regards,
44 Mick