From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] syslog-ng: how to read the log files
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 23:56:20
1 On Tuesday 17 February 2015 18:52:07 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Peter Humphrey
3 <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 > > Yes, that was me. I found that something had marked
5 > > /var/log/messages as a binary file. There's nothing in it that
6 > > can't be read, no mysterious characters or anything; it's just
7 > > marked as binary. All you have to do is to move it, then cat it
8 > > back into place. I did that with no ill effects.
9 >
10 > Uh, of what binary "mark" are you speaking? Seems likely that however
11 > you processed the file stripped it of whatever was causing less to
12 > consider it as binary. I don't think cat alone would do anything to
13 > the file, but I'm not certain of that.
14
15 I don't know. Are we talking magic here?
18 Rgds
19 Peter.